Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Week 5 Reading Response

I enjoyed reading chapter 9 of “They Say, I Say”.  I have had many battles writing in a formula based style. Although I highly appreciate a well-constructed sentence, clear and pointed, I am flexible and open to many forms of language expression. I think it is easy for us to get distracted by lesser points when a sentence is a bit too casual in form, however, we must take into account various influences the writer may have encountered, thus his or hers style of conversation. I like the point made about “First make your point in the language of a professional field, and then make it again in everyday language…”. This is a great suggestion because it gives the reader a baseline understanding and limits the possibility of miscommunication or words being lost in translation (“Lost in Translation” is a great movie FYI).

In chapter 11 I was reminded how reiteration of points in conversation is helpful for the listener to know which points are being referenced. I have a habit of internally understanding how my thoughts connect to the topic, however, this does not mean the listener(s) understand where and what points I am relating to. I have found myself confused and not clear as to why my thoughts seem so abstract at time. In reflection, I can see how a simple response to something that has been already stated would help the audience know which page of topic I am referring to. It may even be beneficial for me to summarize my points instead of assuming the audience understands me in full context. My point is this: not everyone understands the fullness in what we are trying to express. Sometimes we have to assist the audience.


“How to Read Like a Writer” was an underscoring of points made in class.  Primarily by reading like a writer, the reader gets to experience more of what the writers intentions are as well as experience their works with less judgment. The more we can see from their perspective, the more we can fully understand what is trying to be expressed. This does not mean we must agree, but it does allow us to connect a bit easier. Also, we are further learning how to know our audience and speak to them so that our message as a writer is being received. What is the point of communication if it is only one direction?

1 comment:

  1. I like how you said that reading like a writer doesn't have to mean that we must agree but that it allows us to connect easier. I think the pieces where I don't agree at all are the ones I learn from the most, since trying to get into someone's head whose thoughts and opinions you dislike, will at least give you a better understanding of where they're coming from. If you're always going to approve of texts that speak to you and dismiss the ones that don't resonate, you limit yourself to what you already know and I think that's a shame.

    ReplyDelete