Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Week 1 Readings Blog

I really enjoy the relaxed conversational style “Understanding Rhetoric” was written. Not only does the book feel relaxed in nature but it also allows me to comprehend with greater ease.  “Text books” often feel dry and underwhelming, however, the graphic novel stylized pages and conversation tone keeps my attention.  I love learning visually so this catered directly to that aspect of me.

I am not a fan of public speaking. Though I am not the worst, I am certainly not the best, nor do I want to do much about it.  When I read, “Cicero also taught his students to imagine the parts of their speeches as rooms in a building” I totally connected. Speeches contain various subject matter and points, much like the character each room in a building possesses. Adopting this perspective will definitely be implemented next time I find myself having to speak publicly to a large group.

I found “Everything’s an Argument” a bit dry but the author makes a good point in bringing up the notion, all written word is meant to convey a thought the writer wants the reader to accept on one level or another. While I think using the word “Argument” stretches the definition, I understand the point and respect it as such.

2 comments:

  1. You are right, text books are dry and not as interesting to read whereas rhetoric is more so engaging and in a sense makes you want to keep reading. Rhetoric most definitely allows for the visual learners to better grasp the context at hand. Hopefully within this Academic Writing class we will have more opportunities to learn from texts like rhetoric.
    Public speaking doesn't come easily for everyone and there is always room for everyone to improve. I also like the quote that you choose to reference and I can definitely understand why you enjoyed seeing as you find beauty architecturally and graphically. Hopefully now that you have found a way to resonate with speeches you will feel more confident when it comes time to stand up in front of that "scary" class. But know that we are all there cheering you on, and all different characters that help create the building.
    I would agree with you in regards to the "everything's an argument" article. I believe argument can be taken many different ways and not "everything" is an "argument". While I am writing this I am turning myself in circles... it would be much easer to describe face to face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was your last paragraph an argument within an argument? Ha!
      Maybe Socrates or Plato and help us with that!

      Delete